- Our conferences
ACS Group is awarded a 447 million dollar contract for the New York Subway
Publication date: 13 October 2010
Author: Actividades de Construcción y Servicios (ACS)
Tagged with: Actividades de Construcción y Servicios (ACS)
ACS is also present in the other two most important transportation projects in New York: the extension of line 7 and the East Side Access of the Long Island Rail Road.
The ACS Group continues to grow in the US and has won a new, important award via Dragados and its subsidiary Schiavone. The New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority (a state company handling over 11 million passengers a day and over 800,000 vehicles in the nine toll concessions it operates) awarded the contract for the construction of the 72nd Street Station in Manhattan, amounting to USD 447 million, to these ACS subsidiaries.
Since 2006 ACS has signed important contracts with the MTA and with this new project it is consolidating its presence, together with two other important transportation projects in New York:
- The extension of line 7, a project amounting to USD 2.1 billion, which will reach 34th Street and will support the growth of an emerging community on the West Side.
- The East Side Access, in which Dragados participates in two contracts worth USD 430 and 734 million. This project will allow a direct, speedy trip between Long Island and the east of Midtown Manhattan, enhancing the service quality of customers using the Long Island Rail Road. It will also relieve the train and traffic congestion, fostering economic development and improving the quality of life in metropolitan New York.
The works of the new contract for the New York Subway awarded by the MTA consist of the construction of a station under 2nd Avenue in Manhattan. The main cavern is 322 m long and 22 m wide, and it is over 30 m below ground level.
The new contract for the New York Subway includes maintenance and traffic control, monitoring of the existing buildings and structures, and the protection and relocation of the services affected by the works. The works are estimated to last 37 months.
ACS Group has also consolidated and diversified its presence in New York with the construction of the access tunnels connecting Queens and Central Station under Park Avenue, the new station beneath Central Station, the I-287 highway, and important water purifying plants such as the one in Newton Creek.
If you enjoyed this article sign-up to receive our bi-weekly email newsletter:
- Alstom and J-TREC sign a partnership to develop the light rail transit and tramways in Japan (19 June 2013)
- New ZF electric drive city bus axle gains traction (18 June 2013)
- Alstom to supply 24 Citadis Compact to the Greater Avignon Metropolitan Area (18 June 2013)
- Thales to provide signalling and communications systems in Brazil (17 June 2013)
- get me there – the smarter way to get around Greater Manchester (17 June 2013)
Advantech Europe BV | Ask | Clever Devices | ComNet | Confidex Ltd | Cubic Transportation Systems Limited | Damm Cellular Systems A/S | European Rail Infrastructure Managers (EIM) | FARA ASA | Focon Electronic Systems ApS | GIRO | GMV | Gunnebo Entrance Control Ltd | Hogia Transport Systems Limited | MAFEX | MAGAFOR S.L. | MEYERTECH LIMITED | MTM Power | Newbury Data Recording Ltd | Prodata Mobility Systems |