Thousands of journeys completed during first Night Tube services
22 August 2016 • Author(s): Katie Sadler, Digital Content Producer, Eurotransport
The first Night Tube services successfully launched on London’s Central and Victoria lines recording thousands of passenger journeys across the capital.
On the 19 August 2016, the first Night Tube launched on London Underground’s Central and Victoria lines marking the start of a new 24-hour service.
According to Transport for London (TfL), 50,000 customer journeys were completed using the new Night Tube service. It is hoped the new provision will support jobs and boost the capital’s 24-hour economy by £77 million a year.
Night Tube services expected to boost London’s economy by £77m a year
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan launched the new service in the early hours of the morning when he travelled from Brixton on the first Victoria Line Night Tube.
Sadiq Khan said: “It’s wonderful that so many thousands of Londoners were able to benefit from a faster and simpler journey home overnight. The Night Tube is going to provide a huge boost to our capital and very clearly demonstrates that London is open. It was a real pleasure for me to see first-hand how workers and those who had been out enjoying everything our city has to offer could take advantage of this fantastic new service.”
Mark Wild, London Underground’s Managing Director, said: “Night Tube got off to a superb start last night with thousands of people making use of the new services. I was out on the network myself last night seeing our staff and British Transport Police officers helping customers travel around the Capital safely.”
With demand for travel on Friday and Saturday nights up by 70 percent since 2000, the Night Tube is expected to cute late-night journey times between 20 minutes to an hour.
Further information on the new Night Tube services can be found in our guide, here.